background

About Louwman Group  |  History

The origins of the Louwman Group date back to 1923, when messrs P.W. Louwman and A. Parqui set up their own company called Louwman & Parqui in The Hague, Holland. A year later they started importing Dodge automobiles. Over the years, the company expanded rapidly and became a significant automobile import and distribution company, acquiring import contracts for brands such as Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Morgan, Graham-Paige, DeSoto, Kaiser-Frazer and also Ferguson tractors.

In 1964 Louwman & Parqui became the Toyota importer for The Netherlands, the first in the European Community. B.V. NIMAG, another company in the group, began importing Suzuki motorcycles a year later. In 1967 Suzuki outboard motors followed, and then Suzuki cars in 1969. In 1982 Louwman became the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge importer for North-West Europe. Lexus was added to the portfolio in 1989.

In the following 15 years, the Louwman Group, as the group of companies was now called, established many support companies responsible for parts distribution, logistics and financial services. During this period it also grew its retail group (dealerships) to become a top-10 player in The Netherlands. In 2007 the Louwman Group expanded its activities into the Czech Republic with dealerships for Toyota, Lexus and Ford. One year later it began importing the Suzuki brand in Sweden.

The Group diversified its activities significantly in 2011 with the acquisition of the Welzorg Group, market leader in the mobility aids industry. Louwman Exclusive was opened in 2012 to become the centre in Holland for premium cars, with brands such as Maserati, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Lamborghini and Lexus.